Sunday, November 14, 2010

Frank the Voice; Walking Dead Vols. 5 and 6; Love, Lust, and Faking It; Full Dark, No Stars

So after the lovely pictorial on Frank's movies, I read the awesome new bio by James Kaplan "Frank the Voice". It was very in depth and detailed and beautifully written, and I enjoyed it, but he chose to end, after 700 pages, after he won his Oscar for "From Here to Eternity". It just seemed like an odd stopping place.
Robert Kirkman's graphic novel continues, and I burned through the "Walking Dead Vols. 5 and 6" in an afternoon. It felt a little like we were going in circles and repeating previous storylines, especially how they ended up in their new supposedly safe community, but I did like the introduction in the beginning of Vol 6 of a religious nut. Just what an apocalyptic series needs!
I was looking forward to "Love, Lust, and Faking It" by Jenny McCarthy because I've enjoyed all of her books on autism but I've never read any of her more humorous books. I was disappointed. I didn't think it was funny and she contradicted her stories a lot, which is a sticking point with me.
And finally, Stephen King's latest collection of four novellas in the vein of "Different Seasons" and "Four Past Midnight", "Full Dark, No Stars". Aw, what can I say? This is SK of yore: gross and graphic and perfect in every way. I enjoyed all four of the stories immensely, although the third and shortest, "Fair Extension", had a bit of a "Thinner" vibe to it that I wasn't digging too much. But "Good Marriage", about a woman with a seemingly normal and unexceptional life, finds out her husband is hiding a terrible secret, was brilliant. "Big Driver", about a woman who is raped after being stranded on the side of the road, had of course the expected revenge angle but it also had an interesting identity twist I wasn't expecting. "1922", about a Nebraska farmer desperate to keep his wife from selling her 100 acre inheritance, had some graphically disturbing scenes that literally turned my stomach. I loved it :)

No comments: