Friday, November 5, 2010

Secret Eleanor; Why Shoot a Butler; Sinatra: Hollywood His Way; Hellboy: Seed of Destruction; Hellboy: Wake the Devil

"Secret Eleanor" by Cecelia Holland was a lukewarm fiction title based very, very loosely on Eleanor of Aquataine. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the woman was so incredibly fascinating, why make stuff up about her out of wholecloth? Honestly. In this book Holland imagines that Eleanor gets pregnant by Henry II before their marriage (and before he's Henry II tee hee) and her sister has to step in and pretend to be her in public so that her divorce from the French King Louie won't be threatened. It was pretty dull.
"Why Shoot a Butler?" is a mystery by Georgette Heyer, set in the 1920s England. It reminded me a lot of Agatha Christie, only with Heyer's fun twist on words and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A butler is murdered on the side of the road with a young female in the car with him, protesting her innocence. The ending was somewhat predictable, but it was happy, and it made me happy.
"Sinatra: Hollywood His Way" by Timothy Knight was a beautiful pictorial work on the movie career of the great man himself. While Sinatra is rightly remembered as a fantastic musician, he was also an amazing actor. Yes, I am biased :)
Two volumes of "Hellboy" for our upcoming Graphic Novel Book Club meeting: "Seed of Destruction" and "Wake the Devil", by Mike Mignola. One of my coworkers in the club absolutely loves these books and can't stop raving about them, but I'm not 100% sure I'm getting them. They're interesting, just not like how he raves. Maybe I'm missing something he's seeing. At any rate the drawings are pretty good and Hellboy is quite scary looking but he's a good guy, so that's always a fun twist. I have one more volume to read before our meeting so maybe I'll figure out some of the appeal.

No comments: