Sunday, May 8, 2011

Crunch Time; Elizabeth I; Most Evil; Sweet Valley Saga: Patmans of Sweet Valley; Dead Reckoning

Diane Mott Davidson's caterer Goldy Schultz is back in "Crunch Time". I admit: I really couldn't get into this one. There was just too much going on, too many new characters I couldn't care about. That's a pattern with her, but I can't seem to stop reading them. I enjoy the recipes, I think. Even those disappointed me this time because throughout the whole book they kept talking about Navajo Tacos, but there wasn't a recipe for them in the back. Lame.
"Elizabeth I" by Margaret George was an excellent fictionalized account of Queen Elizabeth's later years, starting with the first Armada in 1588 and focused mainly on her complicated relationship with Robert Essex. I liked how she switched over to Elizabeth's cousin and Robert's mother, Lettice Knollys', point of view for perspective. It was very nicely done.
"Most Evil" by Steve Hodel had the retired LAPD detective pinning the 1940's Chicago Lipstick murders and the 1970's Zodiac killings on his father, Dr. George Hodel, who he believes killed the Black Dahlia. It was fascinating and compelling, if a bit of a stretch. I was willing to believe the Black Dahlia allegations in his first book, "Black Dahlia Avenger", but for his father to have been that much of a monster is really mind boggling. Anything's possible, I suppose. Creepy stuff.
"Sweet Valley Sage: The Patmans of Sweet Valley" by Francine Pascal was about the history of the Patman family, going back to the 1800s, and it was so awfully dumb but I read it anyway :)
And finally, Charlaine Harris's latest Sookie Stackhouse book "Dead Reckoning". It was a lot of fun if a bit challenging for poor Sookie. She was in danger every which way she turned, I felt sorry for her. It's got me in the mood for the next season of "True Blood", that's for sure!

No comments: