Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Idea Man

From an early age I had an unnatural obsession with Bill Gates and Microsoft. I don't know why--I didn't have a computer until I was well into my twenties. But as a teen I would read everything I could get my hands on about him, and thought he was a genius (opinion hasn't changed in twenty years :) I was so mad during the anti-trust suit, I couldn't believe the government was going after *my* beloved Microsoft over something as dumb as IE). Anyway, Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft, wrote "Idea Man", which was really great and I enjoyed it. If you're looking for dirt on my main man Bill, it's not here. Paul barely discussed Microsoft, after all, he left the company in 1983, before Windows. Having all that stock, however, allowed him to become fantastically wealthy at an early age and indulge his hobbies, like music and sports, as well become very philanthropic, giving away over $1 billion. Wowza. He seemed like a very laid back, nice guy and his book was very low key.

No comments: