Saturday, July 23, 2011

Anne of Avonlea; Unbelievable; The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Continuing with my Anne of Green Gables rereads, I took a lovely stroll through the second book in L.M. Montgomery's series "Anne of Avonlea". Anne is all grown up, sixteen, and teaching school in Avonlea so she can stay home and take care of Marilla, who is having eyesight troubles. She also takes in the orphaned children of a distant relative who have no where else to go; six year old twins named Dora and Davy, who provide much comic relief, along with tales of Anne's little pupils. Of course Anne herself gets into plenty of trouble, like falling through the rotting roof of a shed on a neighbor's property while trying to peer in their pantry window to see if they have a particular type of platter she needs to replace. Oh Anne, how I love your simple and happy little town and the people in it. Someday I'd like to go to Prince Edward Island. I hope it's still as pretty as Montgomery makes it out to be.
Pretty Little Liars book 4, "Unbelievable" by Sara Shepard finally reveals who "A" is. I guessed fairly early on in the book, so I felt vindicated that I was right. Before her death, Mona points the finger at Ian as Ali's killer, which I am a bit skeptical of. For some reason something about Spencer bothers me, the way she's always the last to see people before they die, and her mysterious blackouts. Hmmm...unfortunately there's a bit of a waiting list at the library for book 5, so I might have to go purchase it. Or see if my sister has a copy I can borrow. I'm not very good at waiting!
Steig Larsson's last book in the Millennium trilogy, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest", easily could have been 200 pages shorter. He had a lot of information about Swedish politics that bored me to tears. It took me 11 days to slog through this one, nearly unheard of for me. But there were very good parts leading up to Salander's trial, which was great. Trials in Sweden are a bit more informal than trials here, but there was still a wonderful "Perry Mason moment" that I enjoyed. I liked the ending, too. He left it open, since he was planning more books before he died, but it was still a good ending. I had been hoping to learn more about Lisbeth's twin Camille, but maybe he was planning that for a later book.

No comments: