Monday, July 18, 2011

Lamb; Anne of Green Gables; The Girl Who Played with Fire

I read Christopher Moore's funny and irrelevant "Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal". That subtitle pretty much sums it up. Biff grew up with Joshua (Jesus is the Greek translation of the word) and they spent their formative years together. Joshua knows he is the Messiah but doesn't know how to behave like one, so he and Biff set out on a 17 year adventure traveling to Asia, India, and elsewhere, tracking down the three wise men who were present at his birth in hopes that they can teach Joshua how to be the Messiah. They learn from the older native religions like Buddhism and Hinduism. It was pretty clever and I enjoyed it.
I reread L.M. Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables", which is like visiting with an old friend and sharing a cup of tea on the wraparound front porch. It made me feel safe and comforted and warm. Usually when I reread the Anne books I just read the ones from when she was an adult, so it was nice to go back and visit her when she was still a charming and vivacious girl.
Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy continues in "The Girl Who Played with Fire". He talks a lot about advanced math in this book, which was completely and utterly over my head. I liked that we learned more about Lisbeth in this one, sort of why she is the way she is and how unfairly she's been treated. The ending was a literal cliffhanger--I was so glad I had the third book already loaded and ready to go on my Nook so I could find out right away what happened. I still think these books are way over-hyped, but they're not bad. I can't see myself ever reading them again though.

No comments: