Monday, April 28, 2014

I Don't Know What You Know Me From; Call Me Burroughs

Two very different celebrity biographies this week. First up, the delightful and charming Judy Greer's "I Don't Know What You Know Me From" (I hope I got the title right, I've been saying it wrong all week). I know what I know Judy from: practically everything! "Arrested Development", "Archer", "Two and a Half Men", etc. She's one of those actresses that seems very funny and down to earth, and she came across that way in her book, too, just very real, someone you'd lie as a friend in real life. Just very cool and laid back and very funny. There were some definite laugh out loud moments, like her chapter on going to the Oscars.

"Call Me Burroughs" by Barry Miles took me six weeks to finish, not because it wasn't good (it was really good), it was just so dense, a real brick of a book. I, like most teens, discovered Kerouac, Ginsberg, and Burroughs and felt like they truly understood the angst I was living (oh, so angsty was my suburban childhood!). I dreamed of hitchhiking cross country and living in a commune. Their lives seemed so free and amazing. I always found Burroughs' books hard to read but worth it, and this biography was so fascinating and well researched. I'm sure I'll be reading some of Burroughs' own works here in the not too distant future.

No comments: