Friday, August 8, 2014

Alice in Blunderland; Patiently Alice; Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging; On the Bright Side, I am Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

Continuing with the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, "Alice in Blunderland". Alice is in fourth grade and seems to do nothing but make mistakes. Her brother, Lester, has her convinced one of his classmates is being abused by her adopted family and is running away to China, so Alice and her friends mail her a care package. Lester is really embarrassed when he finds out. Poor Alice!






I think the publisher totally blew it on this cover. These three girls are supposed to be the same age. Alice, in the middle, looks like she's about 9 with those braids and the other two look 16. Oh well. The story was good: Alice and her friends Pamela, Liz, and Gwen are working at a summer camp for disadvantaged kids during the summer between 9th and 10th grade. Big changes going on for Alice's friends, but they seem to be handling them well.





So I have my "go-to" books when I need a good laugh, and the Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison are definitely high up on my list to reread when I'm down. I've read this book countless times, yet it always makes me laugh out loud. Georgia is almost 14, living in tragic land with loons (her family) and friends with the intelligence of potatoes (Jas). She develops a huge crush on Robbie (the Sex God, or SG) but he's almost 18 and thinks she's too immature for him. Plus he's dating Wet Lindsay. Poor Georgia, if only her life weren't so desperately unfab.




The second book in the series finds Georgia and Robbie dating, until he decides she really is too young and breaks it off. Georgia starts going out with Dave the Laugh (HI DAVE! I LURVE YOU! :) Dave is my favorite character) to make SG jealous. When she tells Dave he is hurt and Georgia feels terrible, but by the end she and Robbie are back together.

No comments: