Sunday, October 25, 2015

Gamelife; Mycroft Holmes

"Gamelife" by Micheal W. Clune wasn't quite what I was expecting. He played computer games as a kid and looks down on video games. Hey, I think Nintendo is awesome. So it wasn't really what I was expecting, and since he played games I've never even heard of, it wasn't all that interesting to me.







I've always been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, and I always wondered, reading the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, what Mycroft's story was. Doyle has Holmes describe his older brother as being far more brilliant than he is, but refusing to put his talents to good use. I thought Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did a good job giving Mycroft an interesting backstory. This book takes place in the early 1870s, and Mycroft is still quite young. He's engaged to a lovely girl named Georgiana, who grew up on a sugar plantation in Trinidad. Mycroft hears of some troubling news from that area of the world: of young children dying, and when he tells Georgiana she immediately drops everything and takes off to go see what's going on. Mycroft and his friend Cyrus Douglas, who is also from Trinidad, follow her and uncover a rather ugly slavery ring. It was well written and very fascinating, I enjoyed it.

No comments: