Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Sunshine Beach

I've read a few other books by Wendy Wax so I figured I'd give her latest a shot, not realizing it was part of a series. She did a nice job of explaining the backstory, so I didn't feel *too* lost, but I'm sort of sorry now that I read it out of order. I'd like to go back and read the first ones, but I already know what happens, so, we'll see. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it once I got all the characters straight. There was just so much going on. Avery, Nikki, Maddie, and her daughter Kyra rehab properties for a Lifetime series. I guess in the last book the women got so fed up with the way they network was treating them they quit on air. After a bit of time to regroup, they're looking for a new rehab project and trying to raise the funds to do it on their own so they won't need to sell their soul to another network. They seemed to have found the perfect project close to home: an old hotel owned by some acquaintances of theirs. It's been closed for thirty years and is a bad state of disrepair. There are a few obstacles, though, Renee and Annelise's father was murdered there in the 1950s, and Annelise has always hoped to get the case reopened so she's wanted to keep the hotel preserved while Renee has wanted to tear it down because it's a painful reminder of the worst time of her life. I was a bit skeptical that one of the characters would even still be alive: he was a former Nazi officer's handler (I told you there was a lot going on). I figured he'd probably be over 100, which didn't make a whole lot of sense but I was willing to overlook that detail. It was still fun.

No comments: