Monday, October 17, 2016

The Wonder; All the Little Liars

I actually read Emma Donoghue's "The Wonder" a few weeks ago and forgot to write about it. I really enjoyed it, I had a hard time putting it down. I read a nonfiction book ages ago about the 19th century phenomenon known as the Fasting Girls (there were a few boys, too). Apparently it was a thing for a few years, where these teen girls would claim not to eat but to survive on air. Of course most were proven to be frauds. This one was about an Irish girl named Anna who claims she hasn't eaten anything in four months. Her little village is becoming a tourist destination where people from all over the world flock to see the miracle girl. Lib is a nurse from England, she is sent for to help keep a two week watch on Anna to make sure she's not sneaking in food. Lib figures it won't take her long to discover the hoax and then she'll be on her way. Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

It's been quite a few years since Charlaine Harris wrote an Aurora Teagarden mystery. I read a few of them back in the day, since Aurora is a librarian I felt obligated to. Although, honestly, reading Harris's description of her workday leads me to believe she's a page, since all she seems to do is shelve books. But I digress. In this one, Aurora is newly married to author Robin Caruso and is expecting her first baby. It was kind of difficult for me to read on a personal level, how happy and excited she was. Aurora's younger half-brother Phillip is living with her and Robin, and one day he and a group of five other teenagers vanish. One of the missing teens turns up dead. The FBI are called in and no one seems to be able to make heads nor tails out of the evidence, since it's all very conflicting. It was, too, I was super confused and honestly not all that invested in it, so I probably wasn't paying attention as well as I could have been. All in all I feel rather lukewarm about this book. At least it was a quick read, so I didn't invest too much time or effort in it.

No comments: