Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Fleetwood Mac on Fleetwood Mac; Closed Casket

It took me awhile to get through this one. Not that it wasn't interesting, but it was...disjointed, I guess. It wasn't a cohesive story, just a collection of interviews various members of Fleetwood Mac have done over the years. There was quite a lot of repetition, I felt like maybe some different interviews could have been included to give a different bit of perspective on the band. I did like that he included an interview done about ten years ago with Peter Green, who left the band in the mid 1970s. It was interesting to hear how someone who used to be inside sees them from the outside.
I like what Sophie Hannah is doing with the character of Hercule Poirot. While I read all of Agatha Christie's Poirot mysteries, I never liked him as much as Miss Marple. I always felt that Poirot was over the top, almost a caricature of a person. Hannah has made him much more believable and toned him down some. This one was fun, even if I guessed (mostly) how it ended, something I could never do with Christie's originals.
Wealthy children's book writer Lady Playford calls a somewhat strange group of people to her estate in Ireland to announce she's changing her will. Instead of leaving her children each half, she's leaving everything to her sickly secretary, Joseph Scotcher. Scotcher isn't expected to live much longer, whereas Lady Playford is in the pink of health, so her dramatic announcement is met with puzzlement all around. Of course inviting Poirot and Scotland Yard detective Edward Catchpool suggests she's expecting a murder to take place, and it does, only not the one she's expecting.

No comments: