Monday, February 6, 2017

The Sleepwalker; Settle for More

I always enjoy Chris Bohjalian's books, and this one was no exception. The year is 2000, and twelve year old Paige wakes up her older sister Lianna one morning with the startling news that their mother is missing. Annalee sleepwalks, but she thought she had it under control, which is why her husband felt safe going away to a conference. One of the detectives, Gavin Rikert, tells Lianna he knew her mother from the sleepwalking clinic they both went to, and they start seeing each other secretly. Annalee's body is eventually found, with blunt force trauma to the back of her head. Did someone murder her and dump her in the river? Did she hit her head somehow and fall in? There were a few red herrings, and I honestly didn't know where he was going with the story, but the ending was good, it surprised me. And I learned more about sleepwalking than I thought I'd ever want to know.

Kelly's book of course has been huge, so I was curious to see what she had to say about the controversies surrounding her questioning of Donald Trump and her claims of her boss sexually harassing her. It was an interesting read. What really got me was her saying that she knows very few women who *haven't* been sexually harassed or threatened in some way at work, and that just struck me as so sad. It might be because of the professions she's been in (law, journalism), versus the profession I'm in (librarianship), but even when I worked in food service and retail, I had nothing but wonderful, supportive relationships with all of my (few and far between) male bosses and coworkers. I don't know if I've just been very lucky, but I hope it's not as prevalent as she makes it out to be.

No comments: