Tuesday, April 17, 2018

We Were the Lucky Ones; Raspberry Danish Murder

I resisted reading "We Were the Lucky Ones", because books about the Holocaust always make me cry. I finally broke down and checked it out, and I'm glad I did because it was so good. Yes, I cried a lot too, but it was worth it. Based on her own family's true story, the Kurc family lives in Poland at the start of World War II. Middle son Addy (Hunter's grandfather) is in France, working, when he gets the bad news that Poland has been invaded and taken over by Hitler's army. He worries about his parents, who own a successful fabric shop, and his siblings, but has no way to reach them. The book follows individual members the family for nearly a decade, as they manage to stay alive and out of the Gestapo's clutches. Addy ends up in Brazil, and after the war ends the family is reunited. Hunter learned about their history after her grandfather's death, and was surprised, since he'd never talked about it. She was determined that their amazing story of survival be told.

And now I'm all caught up with Hannah. Ross has disappeared, and Hannah fears the worst after his assistant, P.K., is murdered. The police find that P.K. was drugged from a box of candy that was left on Ross's desk. So the question is: was the candy meant for Ross or P.K.?
A couple of things in this book annoyed me to no end. Like the amount of food these people eat. I mean, my God. How do they not all weigh 300 pounds? Seriously. Between the never ending cookies, they're always popping off to grab dinner somewhere (and have appetizers, bread, and a dessert or two) before heading home to Hannah's condo where they have to try a new cookie recipe. I mean, I felt sick to my stomach during some of her descriptions of what they ate in a single day. Ugh.
And the sly bit of business about P.K.'s real name. They joked about it, but didn't actually tell us what it was. Not cool. I mean, I figured it out (Porter Kirby) but c'mon.
It ended on a cliffhanger, when we discover Ross was not the man we all thought. HA! (proudly re-raises my Team Norman flag).

No comments: