Thursday, April 11, 2019

Birth of Loud

I finished a fun book about Leo Fender and Les Paul yesterday, about the beginning of the electric guitar. It's kind of hard for me to imagine a world *without* electric guitars, since they've been around my whole life and I grew up listening to the rock music my parents liked: Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, bands like that. It really revolutionized the way musicians were able to express themselves. I found it so fascinating that Leo Fender never learned to play the guitar, he just listened to musicians and was able to tweak his designs to make them happy. He not only had a glass eye, he lost an eardrum, too, and he was still able to create some of the most coveted musical instruments of all time. It got a little technical for me at times, but it was still very readable for a non-musician.

No comments: