Monday, April 29, 2019

Paul Lynde; Why We Sleep

After reading "The Center Square" I was eager to get my hands on more books about Paul Lynde. I actually bought this one because none of my libraries had anything else. It was very interesting: the author, Cathy, was a big fan of Paul's and quite by accident found his phone number in a book in the library. She called him up and chatted and they ended up becoming friends. She wrote a very lovely and touching biography about him. Not really any different information than "The Center Square", except for her personal stories about the time they spent together. 
I have a confession to make: I love to sleep. I look forward to bedtime every night. I've always enjoyed being alone with my own thoughts and dreaming, even during the day (as my teachers would tell you, I was a daydreamer and still am). I found out, after reading Matthew Walker's book, that I am doing everything right (or almost right, I drink caffeine, but it doesn't affect me) when it comes to getting a full, restful night's sleep. I consistently get between 7-8 hours every night, and I wake up without aid of an alarm, at nearly the same time every morning. I fall asleep quickly and stay awake all night, I barely move (making the bed is a snap, as the covers are barely disturbed). Walker discusses what a world wide crisis it is that industrialized nations aren't getting enough sleep and how lack of sleep leads to diseases and early death. There is even a super rare insomnia disorder that can actually kill you because you literally cannot sleep. He also explained why different kinds of sleep and dreaming are important. It was very fascinating, although it did get a bit technical at times for me. I powered through it :)

No comments: