Monday, March 8, 2021

Coffeeland

 

I love coffee. People who don't like coffee make me nervous. I first tasted Dunkin' Donuts coffee about a decade ago when I was on a trip to New England. They are ubiquitous there, like Starbucks is here in So Cal. I fell in love with the orange and pink shops and their delicious coffee. I started emailing them once I returned home, begging them to come back to So Cal. For awhile, my closest Dunkin' was in Barstow, up the 15 on the way to Vegas. About a 4 hour round trip. And friends, I did it for my Dunkin' (not to mention by the time I got to Barstow, I would think oh hey, it's only two more hours to Vegas...)  

At any rate, despite loving coffee and drinking way more than I should, I didn't know much about it. This book was pretty interesting. It mostly focused on El Salvador and one family, the Hills, who had several plantations. It was fun to learn how coffee is grown and processed. I think he did stretch a little too much, trying to tie world events into coffee. It was tenuous at best and kind of took away from the main story, but other than that I enjoyed it. 

No comments: