Wednesday, March 31, 2021

The Midnight Library

 

One of my coworkers was kind enough to buy me my very own copy, since the waiting list is so long. And then it took me forever to finish it. Not because I didn't like it, I loved it, but because I didn't want it to end. I was a bit afraid of the ending. I wasn't sure he could pull it off. I've read so many books that were amazing and then the ending just destroyed it for me, but Haig absolutely nailed it. 

Nora Seed is unhappy with her life. She feels like she wasted many opportunities: she could have been an Olympic swimmer or a musician, or gone to Iceland, or a million other things. Instead she works at a music shop and feels like no one needs her. She is filled with regrets over her wasted life, so she decides to end it one night and overdoses on her anti-depression medication. 

In between life and death there is the Midnight Library, filled with books telling the stories of the lives that could have been, if different decisions had been made. Nora is given the opportunity to visit these other lives and find the perfect life. If she does, she can stay there and live happily ever after. It really resonated with me (as I'm sure it has with many people, which is why it's so popular). It was sweet without being maudlin and like I said, I loved the ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

No comments: