Tuesday, April 27, 2021

American Murder Houses

 

I still can't quite make it through any of my library books but I did manage to finish this book I bought a few years ago, "American Murder Houses" by Steve Lehto, about houses across the country that are notorious for people having been murdered in them. Of course many of them are supposedly haunted, too.

When I was a kid my aunt and uncle bought a house in Monterey Park. It was very cheap because Richard Ramirez, known as the Night Stalker, had murdered a husband in the bedroom and nearly killed his wife, too. No one wanted to live in it so my aunt was able to get a good deal and with four kids she needed it. My mother remembers going over there after her sister bought it to help her scrub blood off the wood floors. I never saw or experienced anything weird in the house and neither did any of my cousins, but one Easter before the Night Stalker trial a couple of detectives came by and asked if they could look the house over again before they went to testify in court. Us kids thought it was pretty cool. The adults probably did not. People used to come by and take pictures all the time. 

At any rate, most of the houses in this book are privately owned and can only been seen from the street. I was a little irritated when he talked about the Lizzie Borden house and said that Abby Borden had been killed while napping upstairs in the guest bedroom. Um, no. Lizzie's uncle, John Morse, was staying in the guest room and even though he was out at the time I highly doubt Abby would have just napped on the bed he was using when her own room was down the hall. She was cleaning up the room when the killer struck. I had heard about most of the murders he talked about but the new ones were interesting. It was a quick read. 

No comments: