Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The Other Emily

 

I feel like such a slug lately, I haven't been reading at all. It happens every once in awhile. I just hate it. Eventually something will bring me out of my book funk. 

I did manage to finish Dean Koontz's latest, "The Other Emily". It wasn't bad, but the ending was a big WTF? He went back to his hard core SciFi roots with this ending. I wasn't expecting it.

David is a successful writer who spends most of his time in NYC. He comes back to his little cottage in Corona del Mar for a few months every year. It was the home he shared with Emily, who disappeared 10 years earlier. Her body was never found but she's assumed to have been a victim of Ronny Lee Jessup, a serial killer who used to troll the lonely stretch of the 101 where Emily's car broke down the night she vanished. David's been visiting Jessup in prison, trying to tease out of him where his other victims were buried, but Jessup isn't talking. 

David goes out to eat one night after returning to Newport and sees a woman who looks exactly like Emily. He strikes up a conversation with her and discovers the resemblance is really uncanny. She talks like Emily, moves like Emily, has the same gestures and mannerisms. She says her name is Maddison, and she's the age Emily was when she disappeared 10 years earlier. David hires a private investigator to see if he can get to the bottom of this mysterious woman. 

The rest of the story was pretty good, I kept wondering how Koontz was going to explain this. What the heck really happened to Emily?! And then I got to the ending and picture a big balloon deflating. Like, oh. Didn't see it coming, but it wasn't all that good. 

Still, better than "Breathless". 

No comments: