Thursday, July 22, 2021

Angel After the Fall Volume 2: First Night

I ordered the first six volumes of the "Angel: After the Fall" graphic novel series (the six volumes might be all of the series, actually, I'm having a really hard time figuring out all these graphic novels series in the Buffyverse). Of course volumes 2, 4, 5, and 6 came but not 1 or 3. 

I figured I could read volume 2 "First Night" without ruining volume 1 too much. So after the season 5 finale of "Angel", which had Illyria, Gunn, Spike, and Angel in an alley about to face a horde of beasts, including a dragon, apparently the whole thing falls apart and L.A. ends up in Hell. Okay. (Side note: the timeline on these books is kind of all over the place. Technically while season 8 of "Buffy" is going on, "Angel" season 5 is happening. But Spike and Angel both show up in season 8 of "Buffy", around the same time they should be taking on the Circle of the Black Thorn in L.A. I know, it's just fiction and it really doesn't matter, I'm just saying I noticed. Moving on!). "First Night" tells everyone's individual stories about their first night in Hell. Spike is happy to have survived another massive fight and vows to retire from helping anyone ever again, and two seconds later finds himself playing the hero because he can't help it. Wolfram & Hart make Wesley an enticing offer (anyone else surprised Wesley ended up in Hell after he died? I know I was). Connor meets a woman named Kate (from seasons 1 and 2 of "Angel"). Lorne ends up becoming mayor of Silverlake and turning it into a little oasis of paradise in the middle of Hell like the champ he is. Gunn has been turned into a vampire (oh no!!). Angel wasn't even in it, but that's okay. 
 

No comments: