Thursday, September 9, 2021

My Best Friend's Exorcism

 

I actually read the hardcover version of Grady Hendrix's "My Best Friend's Exorcism", which has a completely different cover than the paperback, but I loved this cover so much I had to use it. 

I somehow missed reading this book when it came out a few years ago, and when I finished "The Final Girl Support Group" I decided to read this one. It was really good, I liked it a lot. God, he's big on the gross out scenes. Not quiet as bad as Bentley Little, but he's definitely right up there.

It takes place in Charleston in the late 1980s. Margaret, Glee, Gretchen, and Abby are high schoolers and best friends. One night they drop acid and Gretchen disappears into the woods. The other girls aren't able to find her, and the next morning just as Abby is starting to really panic, Gretchen comes stumbling out rather worse for wear. She says she got lost and she's okay, but over the next few weeks Abby notices a marked change in her friend's behavior. She stops changing her clothes or bathing, stops eating, basically becomes a wreck. Abby is desperately trying to get all the adults in her life to help (for once, a teenager doesn't try to solve it on her own, she actually does get an adult and they all let her down). 

Then Gretchen does a 180 and seems fine again. Better than fine, actually. Everyone else is eager to move on and forget what happened, but Abby knows that there's something seriously wrong with Gretchen and she's determined to save her from the demon possessing her. It had a lot of fun 80s cultural references. 

No comments: