Friday, September 3, 2021

War of the Roses: Stormbird

 

I've had this series on my to read list for a while now, I was just concerned with how he would treat Richard III. Obviously if he was going to malign him I wasn't interested in reading it, but I went online and looked and it seemed like he would be fair, so I read it. It was okay, not the best I've ever read. He changed some things unnecessarily, I thought, like having Richard born years before he actually was and I'm not sure why. 

The book starts out with King Henry VI wanting a truce with France as well as a bride. His spymaster, Derry Brewer, and Somerset arrange for Margaret of Anjou to marry Henry and they give a lot of English territory back to France, which makes the English people living on those lands none too pleased. Rebellions arise, Henry starts getting ill and fading, leaving his young bride to try to run the kingdom and keep Richard, Duke of York (Richard III's father) from running away with it. The book ended with Richard being named Protector of the Realm during the king's illness, and Margaret about to give birth to her son, Edward. 

No comments: