Thursday, December 16, 2021

Authentic

 

When I first started working and got my very first credit card (I think I had a limit of all of $500, which seemed like a fortune at the time) the very first thing I bought with it was a pair of Vans. I think they were $40. I love Vans. Growing up, all the guys in my neighborhood were skaters, and they all wore Vans. There was a store just down the street from us. I honestly don't think I've ever not had a pair of Vans, they last forever. 

Paul Van Doren started House of Vans after working for a shoe manufacturer on the east coast for 15+ years. He was super savvy when it came to business and helped them fix issues they had in manufacturing and warehousing, but he was unappreciated so he left to go start his own shoe business in California. He tapped into an unserved market when he went after skateboarders. These were kids who were being chased out of parking lots by adults, and here was this business who not only listened to them, they also supported their sport. Vans quickly became the shoe for skaters. Fast Times at Ridgemont High helped cement Vans as the shoe all the cool kids wore when Sean Penn's character wore his checkerboard pair in the film. Paul raised his kids with a strong work ethic. At one point, they were opening up Vans retail stores so quickly they didn't have a manager trained to go to one, so his 11 year old son, Stevie, ran the store for a few days until the new manager was up to speed. Paul had a lot of great stories and a lot of good advice. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year at the age of 90, just a few days after this book came out. He left behind a legacy hard work, staying focused, and achieving your dreams.  

No comments: