Monday, June 20, 2022

Hometown Victory

 

I'm a sucker for these types of feel good high school football stories. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it. 

Keanon Lowe grew up in Portland, Oregon. His mom raised him and his siblings pretty much on her own. His dad was an alcoholic and popped in and out of his life. His mom worked her butt off to send Keanon to a private school so he could play football. He ended up getting a scholarship and played for the Ducks. I realized that I probably saw him play UCLA at some point, since I had tickets and went to the home games for years (I always hated the Ducks, since they usually walloped the snot out of my Bruins). After college he went on to coach in the NFL and was with the 49ers when his best friend died of a drug overdose after taking too many painkillers following a football injury. Lowe returned home to Oregon to figure out what to do next and ended up taking a job as the head coach of a dismal high school football team, the Parkrose Broncos. The school never really had a decent football team and no one expected much of Coach Lowe and his players, but he managed to turn the team around and teach the kids at his school the importance of hard work and respect for the game as well as each other. In May of 2019 he was working as a security guard during the offseason at the school and disarmed a student with a gun. He saw the kid was hurting and just held him, telling him he cared about him. I'm glad it worked out for him and hopefully the student was able to get the help he needs. 

No comments: