Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Survive the Night

 

I put off reading Sager's latest because I didn't love "Home Before Dark", and a friend at work told me this one wasn't great, either. I really liked it, though. 

Charlie is still in a fog after her best friend and roommate, Maddy, was murdered a few months earlier. Charlie's parents died in a car crash four years ago and ever since Charlie's had hallucinations. She slips into what she refers to as "movies" in her mind and she can't tell what's real and what's fake. She saw Maddy talking to the man who most likely killed her but she doesn't know if the man she saw was real or made up. She's made the painful decision to leave college and her boyfriend, Robbie, and go back home to Ohio. The only problem is she needs a ride since she hasn't driven since her parents died. 

She meets Josh at the rideshare board. He's headed to Ohio too and offers to take her. Robbie isn't thrilled with her catching a ride with a complete stranger, but Charlie insists she'll be careful and call him from the road. They even come up with a code system if she's in trouble (the book takes place in 1991, so before cell phones were a thing). 

Their ride starts off uneventfully but quickly turns weird. Josh is clearly not who he claimed to be but Charlie isn't sure if she can trust what her mind is telling her. It was full of twists and turns and of course red herrings. I was trying really hard to see if I could figure out the ending before I got there but I had no clue. 

No comments: