Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tricks and Ice

Yesterday I reread two Ed McBain novels about the 87th precinct: "Tricks" and "Ice". I know, I know: why, with all the good books out there that I haven't yet read, am I rereading all these books? I really don't know. Sometimes that is what I feel like doing. I've tried to ignore the urge and force myself to read new books, I've found I can't pay attention to the new one untill I've finished the old one.
"Tricks" (oh, and if you've never read McBain, you should. He's awesome, like "Law & Order", back when Lenny was there and it was cool) finds the boys at the 87th on Halloween dealing with midgets robbing convenience stores and cops getting shot. Also, Det. Eileen Burke is dealing with the trauma of her-on-the-job rape, and is acting as a hooker decoy to catch a rapist. Very good stuff.
"Ice" has three seemingly unrelated victims of gunshot murders. Their only connection seems to be that they all were killed with the same gun. Full of cocaine, theater, and rare gems, it's a great read.

No comments: