Sunday, December 9, 2007

Woman in White and Nocturne and Fat Ollie's Book

On Friday I finished reading "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. It was a very good mystery, but so long and complicated that by the end I was so confused as to who was who and what was going on! I should have kept notes along the way. I liked "The Moonstone" better, but this one was good, too.
I also read Ed McBain's "Nocturne". Since I owned it, I figured I had read it before, but it didn't sound the least bit familiar, so I'm going to say I read it for the first time on Saturday. It was very good. The boys of the 87th have an elderly, once famous pianist slain in what looks like a burglary. Ollie Weeks from the 88th precinct makes an appearance. I really like him; he's hilarious. He's a total jerk, not someone you would want to be friends with, but a good detective. Kinda like "House", on TV. Obnoxious but good at his job.
Today I reread "Fat Ollie's Book", also by Ed McBain. Det. Weeks has the manuscript of the novel he's writing stolen out of his car while he's investigating a murder of a city councilman getting ready to run for mayor. The 87th gets involved because the slain councilman lived in their area. Great use of the "book within a book" motif.

No comments: