Friday, February 29, 2008

The Heretic's Apprentice

Ellis Peter's medieval mystery, "The Heretic's Apprentice" (I think it was number 16 in the Brother Cadfael series) was a little slow to start, but after about 40 pages it started getting really interesting and I ended up enjoying it. It takes place in the 1500s, and is about an apprentice named Elave who returns to this little village with his master's body. His master died while on a pilgrimage, and wanted to be buried in the church graveyard, so Elave brought his body home, along with a dowry for his adopted daughter, a pretty carved box. What follows is intrigue as to what was originally in the box (turns out it was an illuminated Psalter), and who wanted it badly enough to lie, steal, and murder for it. I'm glad I'm taking the class on manuscripts so I knew what all the terms meant!

No comments: