Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Coming of the Book and Becky

"The Coming of the Book" by Lucien Febrve and Henri Jean Martin was a book for school, talking in minute detail about the history of the printed book in Europe during the 16 and 17th centuries. The print in this book was minuscule, and it was very difficult to get through. It was technical, and detailed beyond belief. Frankly, I was bored stiff reading it and don't remember a whole lot about it.
"Becky" by Lenore Hart was much more fun. Hart imagines that the characters in Mark Twain's "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" were real people that Samuel Clemens grew up with, and after his book is published, "Becky" wants to set the record straight. She tells the real story of Tom Sawyer and his buddies, and what happened to them (and Sam Clemens) once they became adults. It was easily readable and lots of fun, even though I never really cared for Twain's books. I had to read "Huck Finn" as an undergraduate, and didn't really like it, but this book made me want to reread "Tom Sawyer". Maybe I'll appreciate it more as an adult (I think I was 13 or 14 when I read it last).

No comments: