Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On the Bright Side I'm now the Girlfrind of a Sex God; Rilla of Ingleside, Rainbow Valley

All rereads. Finished up the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison with #2, "On the Bright Side..." (I had quite a chore digging it out, but I found it!). In this one Georgia used Dave the Laugh to make Robbie jealous, but then she feels very badly about how she's hurt him. In the end Robbie decides they should date anyway, despite her age, and Dave gets back at Georgia by dating her dim friend Ellen.
Now I'm rereading L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series. I started with the last one, "Rilla of Ingleside", which takes place during World War I. It was very sad. Her brother Walter is killed in France, many of her friends are injured, her older brother is captured by the Germans but escapes, her sweetheart goes off to war, she adopts and cares for a baby whose mother dies and whose father is off fighting. Dog Monday is the saddest thing: the faithful family dog goes off to the train station to see the oldest boy (and first to go) Jem off, and refuses to leave the station. Four and a half years go by before Jem steps off the train and into the station, and there is faithful Dog Monday waiting for him, and refuses to leave his side after that, even going with him to church. It made me cry.
So did "Rainbow Valley". I used to laugh at the antics of the Blythe and Meredith kids when I was younger, but now it just seems to make me sad. I don't know why.

No comments: