Saturday, April 26, 2008

Revolt of the Eaglets and Give the Boys a Great Big Hand

"Revolt of the Eaglets" by Jean Plaidy is her second in the Plantagenet series. I read the first one awhile ago, and then was stymied when neither my library or the next one over had the second one. So now that I'm going to the second next closest library I'm thrilled that they have almost all of Plaidy's books, and I can pick up where I left off. This one is about King Henry II and his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and their four rebellious sons: Henry, Richard, Geoffrey, and John. They all hate their powerful father, especially since he still treats them children. They rebel against him constantly, and even plot to kill him. Henry (the son, not the dad) dies of a fever, and Geoffrey is killed in a jousting accident. When Henry (the dad this time) dies at the end of the book, Eleanor is thrilled because now her favorite son Richard will be king of England, and release her from the prison her husband had been holding her in for years (they didn't get along very well). I like Plaidy's books: they're fairly accurate historically and quick, easy reads. Not great literature, but fun.
"Give the Boys a Great Big Hand" was a reread from Ed McBain. Once again, I thought I hadn't read it, but once I started rereading, I realized it was awfully familiar. It was good: the boys of the 87th precinct have to deal with a body that's being delivered to them in pieces, starting with the hands. There's a woman involved, a stripper no less, along with a couple of men, one of whom got jealous and well, the rest really figures itself out, doesn't it?

No comments: