Friday, August 22, 2008

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea; Golf My Own Damn Way; Oxford Exit

Chelsea Handler's second book detailing the humorous events of her life, "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" was very funny and I enjoyed reading about her adventures, such as babysitting a 14 year old when she was 12, going to a 30th birthday party for a woman she hardly knows with a "re-gift", and the best of all, taking her dad to Costa Rica for vacation after her mother dies and her dad telling the airline that he and Chelsea are on their honeymoon so they can get bumped up to first class. Funny, funny stuff"Golf My Own Damn Way" by John Daly was mostly over my head, since I don't play golf. I've always wanted to learn, and Daly's book looked funny. It was, and the parts I understood I liked. Serious golfers (or people who want to be) would probably really like it."Oxford Exit" by Veronica Stallwood was disappointing. The premise sounded good: an author and amateur sleuth poses as a library assistant in a big university system to catch a thief who is stealing rare books and deleting the records to cover his tracks. One library trainee has already been murdered for uncovering his dark secret. But the plot wasn't very well fleshed out and there were a lot of parts that were clearly contrived and seemed silly.

No comments: