Monday, August 4, 2008

Vertical Run; Breaking Dawn

"Vertical Run" by Joseph R. Garber was amazingly good. It was taunt and suspenseful. Dave Elliot is just a normal guy who shows up for work one morning and his boss tries to kill him. Dave manages to get away, only to discover two hired hit men in the hallway who also try to kill him. Dave spends the rest of the day not only avoiding being killed by a large number of people, but also trying to find out why they are all suddenly after him. The tension doesn't mount in this book: it is ratcheted up from the beginning and never lets down.
And of course, Stephenie Meyer's "Breaking Dawn", the last of the "Twilight" Saga. Wow. Wow. Wow. What an amazing way to end the series. After I read "Eclipse" I thought what I wanted to happen in the last book, and she actually went and did it. I honestly didn't think she would. I'm so used to authors like Stephen King (God love him) who do the exact opposite of what I want him to do in his stories. "No, don't kill that guy, I like that guy...aw, you killed him!!". Meyer seems to be reading my mind. Awesome. Or maybe I'm reading hers :-) Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series. It was just a lot of fun. And it reminds me of how lucky I am to be me. So many people out there have the potential to be happy, and nothing brings them happiness. Last July, when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" came out, and I spent all day Saturday out back by the pool in the sun, eagerly devouring my new copy, I thought that I could never be happier than I was at that moment. I'm amazed by how much a joy a new book brings me. And I've always been that way. As long as authors keep writing, I'll keep being happy. Lucky me!

No comments: