Sunday, February 8, 2009

Frostbite; Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet; How Football Explains America

"Frostbite" by Richelle Mead is her second Vampire Academy book, and Rose gets her first kill. It was pretty good, I enjoyed the fluff. I'll probably read it again some day.
"Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford has been getting some really good buzz on the blogs I read, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Like other books that everyone else has raved about, I didn't like it. It was banal, just completely predictable and even the characters were hollow and two dimensional. It ticked me off right from page two, which takes place in 1986, and there's discussion of online support groups. I was like, wait, hold the phone...1986? What editor didn't catch that? Seriously, my intelligence felt insulted. I know it's a silly little thing, but stuff like that often kills a book for me. I won't ever read it again.
"How Football Explains America" by Sal Paolantonio was an interesting mix of philosophy and history. He tried to explain how certain events in history correspond with how football was evolving, and why football is America's sport. While some of his arguments were a bit of a stretch, it was still a fun book on the history of the game with some American history thrown in. He pulled together some clever strands of football DNA to show how practically everyone in the sport is related to someone else in the sport somehow. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't ever read it again.

No comments: