Friday, January 30, 2009

Sing Them Home; Vampire Academy

"Sing them Home" by Stephanie Kallos was really good. I read her first book, "Broken For You", back in November of 2006 and was very impressed by it, so I was excited to hear she had another book coming out and it did not disappoint. Her descriptions are so beautifully written it's almost like reading poetry, and normally I'm not a big fan of long, descriptive paragraphs (unless it's Faulkner, then I can handle it, I don't know why!). Anyway, this book takes place in a small town in Nebraska that has held onto its Welsh roots. Three siblings whose mother disappeared during a hurricane twenty some odd years earlier are brought together again after the sudden death of their father, and this serves as a catalyst for some amazing life changes for all three. I'll definitely read this one again someday.
"Vampire Academy" by Richelle Mead was a recommendation from my friend Christina, who is quite possibly a bigger fan of "Twilight" than I am (if such a creature exists)! I was actually pretty pleased with this book: it was funny and the characters seemed real and likable. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next two to be turned in so I can read them next. I would definitely read this again someday.

No comments: