Friday, March 27, 2009

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere; Evidence of Harm; Dewey Decimal System of Love

"Neil Gaiman's Everywhere" by Mike Carey and Glenn Fabry is the graphic novel version of Neil's book, because I'm too lazy to read anything without pictures. No, I just felt like reading a comic book--excuse me, graphic novel. It was actually very well written and the illustrations were very vibrant.
"Evidence of Harm" by David Kirby chronicled the shockingly overwhelming evidence that mercury in vaccines are responsible for the climbing autism rates in this country. Even though the vaccines are supposed to be mercury free now, it's a damn crying shame that government and medical officials ignored the evidence for so long. Even if they didn't believe the vaccines were responsible for autism, they should have at least realized something had to be causing the rising rates of diagnosis, and I don't buy the better diagnosis techniques. If that were the case, then where are all the adults who were never diagnosed properly today? I don't see a lot of obviously autistic adults wandering around.
"Dewey Decimal System of Love" by Josephine Carr was a fun, quick little read recommended to me by Christine, one of the librarians I work with. Ally, a 40 year old spinster librarian suddenly develops a crazy mad crush on the conductor of a local orchestra who turns out to be a thief who specializes in stealing rare musical scores and shipping them back to his native Finland. Some of the things in the book reminded me of the Annoyed Librarian, whose blog I read religiously, like the whole martini thing. I wonder which came first?

2 comments:

Shelly said...

So are you back to accepting recommendations from fellow librarians? :)

Bekki said...

Only from the ones I know and trust!