Thursday, April 9, 2009

Revolutionary Road; Not Quite what I was Planning; Life Sucks

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates was *amazing*. I absolutely cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed this book. It's the best thing I've read since Lionel Shriver's "We Need to Talk About Kevin". Just a really beautifully written and utterly believable slice of 1950s suburbia.
"Not Quite What I Was Planning", edited by Smith Magazine, is a collection of six word memoirs. Smith challenged people to write their life story in six words or less--I don't think I could do it! But some of the ones people came up with were fantastic. Funny, sad, poignant...all across the emotional spectrum.
"Life Sucks" by Jessica Abel is a graphic novel that was like a cross between "Clerks" and "Twilight". Dave is forced into convenience store slavery by his vampire master when he falls for a beautiful wanna be vampire goth chick named Rosa. It was a fun story and the illustrations were nicely done as well.

No comments: