Sunday, May 31, 2009

Breathers

"Breathers" by S.G. Browne is a sci-fi book about the plight of zombies who struggle for basic human rights. In this world, no one is sure why some of the dead reanimate, but they live among normal people, or "breathers", and one of the recent undead, Andy, is fighting for zombie civil rights. It had a bit of a quirky love story thread when Andy falls for another zombie, Rita, and they discover that eating people helps them heal, so they are less undead and more like the living (their hearts start beating again, their wounds heal, etc). While funny, as a dedicated zombie killer I take exception to the idea that zombies have feelings and human emotions. Everyone knows better :-) I like my monsters to know their place in society. Benevolent vampires and werewolves are okay in my book, but not zombies. Don't ask me why.

No comments: