Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Big Rewind; Dead to the World

"The Big Rewind" by Nathan Rabin reminded me of Augusten Burroughs's books--he has to try to make us laugh to keep from crying. Abandoned by his mom, shipped off to a group home by his crippled father once he can no longer care for him, Nathan eventually finds his way in the world but not without a lot of bitterness, sarcasm, and references to pop culture. It was fun and I enjoyed it, it made me laugh, but in a guilty way.
"Dead to the World" by Charlaine Harris is her fourth Sookie Stackhouse book (yes, I know, I missed two and three. I'm on hold for them because I'm too cheap to go buy the series right now, although I'm sure I will at some point). Sookie and Bill are no longer together in this one. Her brother, Jason, is missing after spending New Year's Eve with a dangerous shape shifter girl, and Sookie comes across an amnesiac Eric while driving home from work. He's been cursed by a coven of witches who have a bounty out for him, so Sookie keeps him safe at her house until the spell can be reversed. She finds herself drawn to him when he's not himself, since he is gorgeous and no longer remembers that he's obnoxious. The scenes between the two of them were great fun.

No comments: