Monday, September 21, 2009

More than a Game; Definitely Dead

Former Raven's head coach, Brian Billick, writes about his concerns for the future of the NFL in "More than a Game". I love the Ravens, after reading John Feinstein's "Next Man Up". After reading that I kind of felt like I got to know the Ravens team pretty well, and I liked Coach Billick. I was disappointed when he was fired, but anyway. This book was highly readable and made the somewhat technical subject of salary caps and contract negotiations in the NFL seem understandable and interesting. (Unrelated note: Ray Lewis--amazing!)
Moving on from football (ah, I love this time of year!). Another Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris "Definitely Dead". Sookie goes to New Orleans to pack up her dead cousin Hadley's belongings. She finds out the Hadley had told the Queen of Louisiana all about Sookie's ability to read minds, and the Queen is intrigued and wants Sookie to attend an upcoming conference as her telepath. Of course, it being Sookie, she's in danger even away from Bon Temps, from a were family who suspects (rightly so) that she knows more about the death of their daughter/sister than she's letting on. I really like Sookie. She's pretty down to earth, all things considered.
On a totally unrelated note--happy birthday to Stephen King. I am looking forward to "Under the Dome". It looks like it's going to be amazing.

No comments: