Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stardust; Deadlocked; Walking Dead Vol. 15; Cave Full of Ghosts

"Stardust" by Carla Stewart is a Christian fiction title but it isn't overly preachy and full of praying like some of the other recent Christian fiction I've read, so that was nice. It just didn't have a lot of bad language, which I sometimes want. Anyway, there was a lot going on in this book, but it didn't feel overdone and ridiculous. Sometimes life throws a whole lot at us and we have to respond even if we're worn out from dealing with other bad things. Georgia is a young mother to two little girls and her husband has run off with another woman. He turns up dead and Georgia worries about how she is going to support her girls. Her aunt Cora, who raised her after her parents dumped her off with Cora and left when she was just a little girl, is dying for Georgia to move in with her, but Georgia is determined to make her own way. A distant relative dies and leaves her the motel he owned, the Stardust, which Georgia has fond memories of because that's the last place she saw her parents before they disappeared from her life. Georgia is determined to fix it up and make a living off of it. The book takes place in Texas in the 1950s, and there is also a polio scare going on, since it's summer. When a heavily pregnant woman shows up at the Stardust with her little girl in tow, delirious from fever, everyone fears the worse, and their fears are justified: the pregnant woman has polio. Just as the Stardust is finally starting to get off the ground and running, fears of catching the disease keep people away and Georgia finds herself caring for the woman's little girl and her newborn son while she's in the hospital fighting the polio. There was a lot of predictable bits, but it didn't diminish from the message of the book. Georgia is a sweet lady, and I'm glad things finally started to work out for her and her family. It was a nice book.

"Deadlocked" by Charlaine Harris it the latest Sookie Stackhouse book. Sookie and Eric are on the rocks, spending too much time apart and not communicating. Sookie has the added problem of having Dermot and Claude, her fairy relatives, staying with her since Niall closed the portal to Faery. Sookie's grandmother left her a bit of fairy magic in the form of a cluviel dor (I think that's how it's spelled, I don't have the book in front of me). All of the supernatural beings in and around Bon Temps seem to know she has it, so they're all after her. I really liked the ending, I think this is the next to the last book, so I'm curious as to how Harris is going to wrap it all up. It seems like Sookie and Sam might end up together while Eric is forced to marry the Queen of Oklahoma, but who knows for sure? Either way, I will miss Sookie and her crazy paranormal love life and adventures.

"Walking Dead Vol. 15: We Find Ourselves" by Robert Kirkman picks off where 14 ended: Carl is recovering from his devastating gun wound to the head and the survivors of the zombie overrun on their community are trying to pick up the pieces and move on. There is a small faction of disgruntled people, led by Nicholas, who are convinced Rick is just going to kill them to take over their homes for his own people. The book builds up the this showdown, which has a nice conclusion, but I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of the disgruntled original residents of their new town. Vol 16 is due out next month, so hopefully I can get my hands on it quicker than I could with this one.

It's no secret how much I adore Billy Bob Thornton. I think he's brilliant and amazing and incredibly, incredibly hot. When he refers to himself as Quasimodo in his new book "Cave Full of Ghosts", it makes me wonder if he owns a mirror. How Angelina Jolie went from him to Brad Pitt is a mystery to me. What a downgrade. But I digress. "Cave Full of Ghosts" is co-written with Kinky Friedman, whom I also adore. Basically Billy Bob sat down and started telling stories of his life and how he thinks and Kinky recorded it and transcribed it. At any rate, it's fun stuff, seeing into the mind of a genius. I wish there would have been more pictures. That would have made me a happy camper, but it was still pretty awesome :)

No comments: