Monday, May 14, 2012

That Woman

"That Woman" by Anne Sebba was interesting. I didn't know anything about Wallis Simpson before reading this book, other than of course that Edward VIII abdicated for her, which I always thought was incredibly romantic. The reason I was curious to read it was that I bought a huge biography on the Queen Mother a few weeks ago that I'm afraid I'm never going to get to. It's actually very sad, the number of books I own and never read because I always have library books with pending due dates that I'm trying to finish. A few years I made a vow to read at least one book I own that I've never read once a month. Yeah, not so much. At any rate, back to Wallis Simpson. I did wonder how this woman, who wasn't terribly attractive, managed to land not one but three husbands, one of whom was a king. At any rate, Sebba has a theory as to why Wallis was barren, but luckily she didn't belabor the issue. The book was a bit odd towards the end though: for the first 3/4 she is pretty detailed and then it was like she was in a big rush to get through with it. In one paragraph she is talking about a party the Duke and Duchess were attending, and then the next paragraph is 6 years later and Edward is dead. Wait, what? What happened? Still, it was a nice overall look at someone I was unfamiliar with.

No comments: