Monday, May 21, 2012

World of Downton Abbey; Vegan Freak

So in addition to loving "Mad Men", I also watch "Downton Abbey" (I actually don't watch much TV, in case you hadn't guessed, I prefer reading ;-) ) and I love the costumes and the characters and the whole society. Jessica Fellowes writes about it in "World of Downton Abbey", which is filled with the most beautiful color photos and behind the scenes look at filming and tidbits from the actors. If you enjoy "Downton Abbey" you really ought to check this book out, it's marvelous.

"Vegan Freak" by Bob and Jenna Torres needs a little backstory about some personal changes. I went vegan three months ago after reading (most of, anyway) Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" and "Skinny Bitch" by Kim Barnouin. I didn't blog about them because I didn't read every word and I don't think it's fair to include it in the blog unless I read all of it. Plus, I was just deciding whether or not I should try out veganism, and didn't feel like advertising it. At any rate, I couldn't be happier with the way this lifestyle is working for me. My allergies are all but gone, I'm losing weight, and I feel great. I've always been incredibly blessed when it comes to my complexion and hair, but I'm getting more compliments on how I seem to be glowing. The problem with "Vegan Freak" is that the authors are convinced (and they make no bones about telling the reader) that the only legitimate reason to go vegan is because you are against animal cruelty. Now, don't get me wrong. I love the animals. I think testing makeup and whatnot on them is horrible. But I personally have no problems with eating animals if it were still done the way it was done before the rise of meat packing plants. I think the way animals are treated now before being consumed is not only sad for them, but dangerous for us. They are pumped up so full of chemicals and live practically on top of each other. It used to be very expensive to own a cow because you had to have so much land for it to graze on and space. Nowadays the ranchers pack them in so tight and force feed them grain. And the poor chickens never get a chance to run around in the sunshine to peck. So for me going vegan was more for health issues. I want to be aware of what I am putting in my body, and with meat and dairy and other food derived in some way from animals you can never be sure. I've started reading labels at the grocery store, and buying a lot more fresh vegetables and fruit and less packaged and canned items. I'm eating better than I ever have in my life, and so what if I didn't come to veganism the way the Torres's feel is the "only" acceptable way? The end result is the same, right? I'm not eating animal products anymore. I tell everyone who asks how great I feel and I highly recommend at least *trying* to eat less meat, if you can't give it up completely. Instead of making the veggies the side dish of a meal, make them the star, and you'll be amazed at all the great meals you can make. I've been having the most fun trying new recipes and foods these last three months. It really has been amazing. I do feel sorry for some of the people who the authors are trying to help in this book. They discuss how to deal with family and friends who tease and won't accept your lifestyle choice. I have been so fortunate that first of all, I live in a very vegan friendly area here in Southern California. I'm not even the only vegan at my workplace. Secondly, my family and friends have all been wonderfully supportive and curious about my new lifestyle change. I actually got my mom and my sister to try fried tofu, and they both loved it! The main message I got from this book was to be a positive vegan, a role model, so others can look to you and say "It can't be that hard. Look how happy she is!". So if you're thinking of making a lifestyle change like this, do it for whatever reason works for you. And good luck!

No comments: