Saturday, December 26, 2015

Brother; In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash

"Brother" by Ania Ahlborn was really good, creepy as hell and that ending! Michael Morrow has grown up in a remote farmhouse in a family of killers. His older brother, Rebel, regularly picks up hitchhikers and brings them back to the house for their mother to kill, although the whole family gets in on the fun. Michael is disgusted by it, but isn't sure how to get out. He knows the Morrows adopted him, that his real family abandoned him, and he feels guilty for not being more grateful to them. Then Rebel introduces him to a girl named Alice, and Michael dreams of running away with her and starting a new, normal life. Then Rebel's vicious plan is revealed. I sort of figured part of it out, but it was still brutal. I thoroughly enjoyed it.


"A Christmas Story" has become one of the most iconic Christmas movies of all time, and I kept meaning to read the book by Jean Shepherd that it was based on "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash". It was cute, Jean reminisces about what it was like, growing up in Indiana during the Depression. It was funny and light. On a side note, I found out yesterday my mother has never seen "A Christmas Story"! I turned it on and she didn't know it. I didn't think there was a way to avoid it during this time of year, but she's somehow managed.

No comments: