Monday, March 14, 2016

Nightmares Unhinged; Darcy and Fitzwilliam; Car Crazy

Ugh, what an utter waste of time this one was. Not a decent story in the bunch, they were all terrible. The less said the better.










I really enjoyed Karen V. Wasylowski's "Darcy and Fitzwilliam". With the great Regency era slang, it reminded me of Georgette Heyer. The book is about Fitzwilliam Darcy from Pride and Prejudice and the relationship he has with his cousin, Richard Fitzwilliam (Colonel Fitzwilliam in P&P, I don't think Jane Austen ever mentioned his first name, but Richard is a good choice). The cousins are as close as brothers and Fitzwilliam is there for Darcy during Elizabeth's trying pregnancy and Darcy is there for Fitzwilliam during his courtship of a young widow battling her mother in law for custody of her son.
On a semi-unrelated notes, I finally saw the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice (I've always watched the 2005 version with Matthew MacFayden as Darcy, and I love it). It was pretty good, I see why so many people like it so much. I still prefer the newer one, though :)

"Car Crazy" by G. Wayne Miller was an interesting look at the beginning of the motor vehicle age in America. Car races for both speed and endurance were regularly used as a way for manufacturers to promote their vehicles. He also discussed the Seldon patent fiasco which kept car makers tied up in courts for nearly a decade.

No comments: