Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Thugs and Kisses; Austenland

I'm in a bit of a book slump right now. It happens every so often. I start books but can't finish them, ones I was looking forward to aren't holding my interest, etc. So I pulled the third book of Sue Ann Jaffarian's Odelia Grey series off the shelf and read it, knowing it would be fun and quick and hopefully snap me out of my apathy. It didn't really work, but it was a good story: Odelia's odious boss, Mike Steele, has gone missing, which is totally not like him at all. Odelia attends her thirtieth high school reunion with reservations, and her old nemesis is murdered. She's not a suspect, since she was dancing with her date, NBPD detective Dev at the time, but one of her friends is, and Odelia promises to help her clear her name. Her law firm has also asked her to help find Steele, so Odelia has a full plate.

After watching the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice a few weeks ago, I found out from a coworker that I had to read this book, so I did. It was cute. Jane's a thirty something girl in New York, a string of failed relationships and attempts behind her. She's somewhat obsessed with Mr. Darcy (or, more precisely, Colin Firth) and when her great aunt Carolyn dies, she leaves Jane a mystery trip to Pembroke Park. There's no information about it online, so Jane goes, curious as to what it's all about. It's an estate for wealthy clients who pay to spend three weeks pretending they live in the Regency era of P&P, complete with actors who woo them. There's the Mr. Darcy type, the Mr. Bingley type, etc. While at Pembroke Park they must stay in character the whole time, and Jane finds it difficult to determine where fiction ends and facts begin when she starts a romance with a good looking gardener. It had a very sappy, sweet ending, but other than that it was funny.

No comments: