Monday, January 23, 2017

Billy the Kid

So I'm on a Billy the Kid kick now. Better than not wanting to read at all! I checked this one out from work, read about half of it, then noticed a brand new copy on my bookshelf. So I bought it at some point, but I don't think I read it, it didn't seem overly familiar. I read a lot of books about Billy the Kid when I was a teenager, though, so maybe I did. At any rate, it was well written and nicely researched, Wallis worked very hard to dispel myths surrounding the Kid. So much of his early life is unverifiable, sources are called into question. What was interesting was that Wallis very casually mentions near the end of the book that Paulita Maxwell may have been pregnant with Billy's child, which is why he stuck around Old Fort Sumner instead of skinning out for Old Mexico like any smart person would have done after he escaped from prison. No one seems to know for sure, though, I went online and the birthdate given for her first daughter was 1884, so clearly not his, since he died in 1881. Ah, history's mysteries.

No comments: