Monday, June 3, 2019

Love Letter Life; Killer Across the Table; Murder by the Book

I love "Little People, Big World", I've been watching it since the beginning, so I got to see Jeremy and Audrey's love story unfold (well, the bits they allowed to air). Their love story is very sweet, and the book was full of Christian advice on how to date and marry and make your marriage work. It was a little bit too Christian for me, but they still had some solid advice.
I have to admit, I was disappointed with this one, which surprised me, I was really looking forward to it. I normally love John Douglas's books, I've read almost all of them. In this one he presented about a half a dozen different killers he's interviewed, talking about what makes them tick. It was just very flat, maybe because most of them I had never heard of. The only thing I really liked was when he played audio cassettes of one of the killers raping and torturing a victim, one of the people listening who had been staunchly anti-death penalty changed his mind, saying he had no idea such sick and twisted people existed. Clearly he does not read as much true crime as I do.
I was also surprised by "Murder by the Book", because I really enjoyed it and it wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be about. In 1839, Victorian London was gripped by Jack Sheppard fever. A book by William Harrison Ainsworth that romanticized a thief from the 1770s, it captured the imagination of the lower and upper class alike and inspired numerous plays and songs. When a minor nobleman was brutally murdered in his sleep, his valet was arrested and charged with the crime. He later claimed he was inspired by the book. It was a short, quick read but very nicely told and she had a few snarky asides which were fun.

No comments: