Monday, June 10, 2019

The Sun is Also a Star; Anna of Kleve

I liked Nicola Yoon's "Everything, Everything", and a colleague at work said this one was pretty good too, so I gave it a shot. I liked it more than I thought I would at first. It's Natasha's last day in America: her family is here from Jamaica illegally and they are being deported. She's determined to find a way to stay. Meanwhile, Daniel is the son of Korean immigrants who are want him to go to Yale and be a doctor. Daniel is a romantic boy who writes poetry and falls in love with Natasha at first sight. They spend the day together, Daniel trying to make Natasha fall in love with him and Natasha resisting it. I liked the ending, I don't want to spoil it, but it was happy without being ridiculously unrealistic.



I've been enjoying Alison Weir's Tudor Queens series. Anne of Cleves (or Anna of Kleve, as Weir styles her) is the least known of Henry's wives, so Weir went fanciful and imagined a secret past: Anna becomes pregnant at 14 from a cousin and goes into seclusion, giving birth to a boy she gives away to be raised by a sword maker. Years later, she is sent to England to marry King Henry and finds him obese and disagreeable. After their wedding night, he refuses to try to consummate the marriage, telling his advisers that he judged her not to be a maid based on how flabby she was. On this, Weir decided to hang the illicit pregnancy. No offense, but I've never been pregnant and I'm very flabby. I also find it really hard to believe if King Henry *really* thought she wasn't a maid that he didn't raise a bigger fuss about it. It's not like he was the "suffer in silence" type. It's nice to imagine poor Anna had SOME happiness in her life, but even Weir admits she probably did not have children.

No comments: